Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Dysmenorrhea


Dysmenorrhea, or painful menstruation, is one of the most common complaints of gynecologic patients. Many women experience mild discomfort during menstruation, but the term dysmenorrhea is reserved for women whose pain prevents normal activity and requires medication, whether an over-the-counter or a prescription drug.
There are 3 types of dysmenorrhea: (1) primary (no organic cause), (2) secondary (pathologic cause), and (3) membranous (cast of endometrial cavity shed as a single entity). This discussion focuses mainly on primary dysmenorrhea. Secondary dysmenorrhea is discussed elsewhere in this book in association with specific diseases and disorders (eg, endometriosis, adenomyosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, cervical stenosis, fibroids, and endometrial polyps). Membranous dysmenorrhea is rare; it causes intense cramping pain due to passage of a cast of the endometrium through an undilated cervix. Another cause of dysmenorrhea that should be considered is cramping due to the presence of an intrauterine device (IUD).
Pathogenesis
Pain during menstruation has long been known to be associated with ovulatory cycles. The mechanism of pain has been attributed to prostaglandin activity. Prostaglandins are present in much higher concentrations in women with dysmenorrhea than in those with mild or no pain.
Other studies have confirmed increased leukotriene levels as a contributing factor. Vasopressin was thought to be an aggravating agent, but atosiban, a vasopressin antagonist, has shown no effect on menstrual pain.
Psychologic factors may be involved, including attitudes passed from mother to daughter. Girls should receive accurate information about menstruation before menarche; this can be provided by parents, teachers, physicians, or counselors. Emotional anxiety due to academic or social demands may be a cofactor.
Clinical Findings
Reactions to pain are subjective, and questioning by the physician should not lead the patient to exaggerate or minimize her discomfort. History taking is most important and should include the following questions: When does the pain occur? What does the patient do about the pain? Are there other symptoms? Do oral contraceptives relieve or intensify the pain? Does the pain become more severe over time?
Because dysmenorrhea almost always is associated with ovulatory cycles, it does not usually occur at menarche but rather later in adolescence. As many as 14–26% of adolescents miss school or work as a result of pain. Typically, pain occurs on the first day of the menses, usually about the time the flow begins, but it may not be present until the second day. Nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, and headache may occur. The specific symptoms associated with endometriosis are not present.
The physical examination does not reveal any significant pelvic disease. When the patient is symptomatic, she has generalized pelvic tenderness, perhaps more so in the area of the uterus than in the adnexa. Occasionally, ultrasonography or laparoscopy is necessary to rule out pelvic abnormalities such as endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, or an accident in an ovarian cyst.
Differential Diagnosis
The most common misdiagnosis of primary dysmenorrhea is secondary dysmenorrhea due to endometriosis. With endometriosis, the pain usually begins 1–2 weeks before the menses, reaches a peak 1–2 days before, and is relieved at the onset of flow or shortly thereafter. Severe pain during sexual intercourse or findings of adnexal tenderness or mass or cul-de-sac nodularity, particularly in the premenstrual interval, help to confirm the diagnosis (see Chapter 43). A similar pain pattern occurs with adenomyosis, although in an older age group and in the absence of extrauterine clinical findings.
Treatment
NSAIDs or acetaminophen may relieve mild discomfort. Addition of continuous heat to the abdomen in addition to NSAIDs decreases pain significantly. For severe pain, codeine or other stronger analgesics may be needed, and bed rest may be desirable. Occasionally, emergency treatment with parenteral medication is necessary. Analgesics may cause drowsiness at the dosages required.
Antiprostaglandins
Antiprostaglandins are now used for treatment of dysmenorrhea. The newer, stronger, faster-acting drugs appear to be more useful than aspirin. Ibuprofen, an NSAID that is available over the counter and in prescription strength, has been extremely effective in reducing menstrual prostaglandin and relieving dysmenorrhea. Less frequently dosed naproxen (550 mg/day) also is effective. Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibitors such as valdecoxib (20–40 mg/day) is equally effective and has fewer gastrointestinal side effects, but it is more costly. The drug must be used at the earliest onset of symptoms, usually at the onset of, and sometimes 1–2 days prior to, bleeding or cramping.
Antiprostaglandins work by blocking prostaglandin synthesis and metabolism. Once the pain has been established, antiprostaglandins are not nearly as effective as with early use.
Oral Contraceptives
Cyclic administration of oral contraceptives, usually in the lowest dosage but occasionally with increased estrogen, prevents pain in most patients who do not obtain relief from antiprostaglandins or cannot tolerate them. The mechanism of pain relief may be related to absence of ovulation or to altered endometrium resulting in decreased prostaglandin production. In women who do not require contraception, oral contraceptives are given for 6–12 months. Many women continue to be free of pain after treatment has been discontinued. NSAIDs act synergistically with oral contraceptive pills to improve dysmenorrhea.
Surgical Treatment
In a few women, no medication controls dysmenorrhea. Cervical dilatation is of little use. Laparoscopic uterosacral ligament division and presacral neurectomy are infrequently performed, although some physicians consider these procedures to be important adjuncts to conservative operation for endometriosis.
Adenomyosis, endometriosis, or residual pelvic infection unresponsive to medical therapy or conservative surgical therapy eventually may require hysterectomy with or without ovarian removal in extreme cases. Rarely a patient with no organic source of pain eventually requires hysterectomy to relieve symptoms.
Adjuvant Treatments
Continuous low-level topical heat therapy has been shown to be as effective as ibuprofen in treating dysmenorrhea, although its practicality in daily life may be questionable. Many studies have indicated that exercise decreases the prevalence and/or improves the symptomatology of dysmenorrhea, although solid evidence is lacking.
Diets low in fat and meat products have been shown to decrease serum sex-binding globulin and decrease the duration and intensity of dysmenorrhea.

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to share my success story with natural remedy: I had advanced adenomyosis was causing me to have the most excruciating pains every month and very heavy bleeding and of course a chronic anemia. The first GYN I saw said the only option was to remove my uterus. At only 24 my left ovary and Fallopian tube was removed due to endometriosis. After 4 years I had adenomyosis and right fallopian tube blocked. Always wanted to conceive but never been pregnant because adenomyosis was grown that I never had dimensions. My period came and was very heavy with clots - lasted 5 days and stop for 2 - came back again medium heavy for another week. I started taking Tranexamic acid for 5 days, Nature's way DIM-plus, four (4) capsules once a day. I also took the Pure Life Essence for Women, also 4 capsules once a day. I mix apple cider vinegar and water and take it twice a day and didn't work, it minimizes flow but comes back again, my Doctor gave me progesterone 200 mg and I kept bleeding...it's took me 3 weeks of bleeding; I looked very pale and felt weak - missed a couple of days at work. The Doctors I see all recommends hysterectomy. You know what stopped the bleeding?? Reading online came across an article about Doctor Ronnie's herbal medication for adenomyosis... I took it twice a day, and bleeding stopped. This is what works for me. I hope it helps someone else. I am 6 months pregnant now expecting my baby soon. You can get more information from him at ronniemd70@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have suffered from adenomyosis with severe cramps during and after my period. It was very painful and heavy bleeding and severe lower back pain my pain was unbearable to a point of being not able to move and a stabbing like pain on the left of my ovaries. Pain goes away when a clot comes out. But it took a while for the clot to come out. After several meetings with my gynaecologist which she suggested "laparoscopies" but I refused I know what laparoscopies is and how heart aching it can be then she stated that Allopathic treatment will help in pain management but it will not cure the disease. I started treatment with a drug named "endoheal 2 mg". This gave me pain relief but reduced my periods almost to no periods with numerous side effects - spotting and fluctuation in my dates. I was not mentally satisfied to bear the side effects so I came across ''Ayurvedic doctor" who started my treatment with herbs. Though I continued above drug 'endoheal 2 mg'" parallel for nine months for easy pain management. From then I continued taking the treatment. It reduced the size of my lesion but did not reduce it further after few months. And there was no relief in pain during menstruation but my Dr. Advised me to continue it during 3 months without any gap. I had noticed a quick ageing of my skin in the last 2 years. I am a smoker but for some reason I feel my quick ageing has to do with something else because I have been smoking for a long time and it's only recently that I noticed a fast decline of my skin elasticity. After then pain radiates very badly in my left leg, lower left back and left side of my vagina. The pain normally start anytime during 3, 5,6 days, but at time I had to take a painkiller for this also as it irritates whole day. Then pain disappears after fews day. My digestion was slow but Dr. Ronnie's supplements has improved it impossible situations is becoming possible miracles gradually.

    I was lucky to read in the internet about a lady who was cured from Adenomyosis through Herbal Medication. I contacted Ronnie through an email address I got from a testimony shared on the internet. Without further delay I made an order, I switched over to it. I had great breakthrough, that in the first month, I was already testifying of the effective of the Herbal medication. After 3months course of taken the medicine, all symptoms were gone. It has been 1 year and four months since I became free from adenomyosis. Anyone who is not in my position would not understand what I went through, the heart break, the pain and how frustrated I was for 6 odd years. Believe me, it was hell. I am so happy; I never believed I will be this happy again in life. My story is quite lengthy, it might help you too. You may contact Dr. Ronnie to know more via his email on. ronniemd70@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people have said Adenomyosis is not a life-threatening condition, but it can cause severe discomfort. I have decided to write this testimony with the sincere hope that it will enable you and your loved ones to get on the right path of living a meaningful life with the right balance of independence and freedom without surgery, I believe sharing my thoughts and experience about Ronnie's product will be helpful and Enlighten many of you that you are not alone I have suffered from Adenomyosis for 8 years, having Adenomyosis was not easy for me, My digestion was slow I was hospitalized several times our healthcare system/surgery failed me and other medication, after the surgery I took acv. I've taken multivitamins, herbal teas, shepards purse, Fertilpills and Folic acid, but the fertilpills bloat up my stomach and not in a way that it has gas and other things I don't remember the names. My story changed after a family friend directed me to Dr Ronnie in late 2016 but just after a month of using this herbal medicine, the rapid improvement in my health got me marveled. I thank Dr Ronnie for his support all through these years. If you are a women suffering with adenomyosis and experiencing heavy periods or severe uterine cramping and want to avoid surgery and keep your uterus, contact him; ( ronniemd70@gmail.com).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete